Wednesday

Lipstick & Tights For Men: Dallas Artist Starts 'XY Movement'



There's a gender bending movement underway on the streets of Dallas. It's called the XY Movement and it's being lead by a young artist who wants people to use fashion to cross lines.


Your eyes aren't fooling you. Yes, he's a guy. Yes, he's wearing lipstick and flower print tights too.


"A lot of people feel like a lot of colors or tight clothes is homosexual. I feel like it`s more of an expression of me," said XY Movement creator Daryll Duane Philips II.


Daryll Duane Philips, 19, a Dallas-based artist who goes by the name DPhil Spanglishman.


"The only obstacles are in your mind, that`s the way I feel. I had to break down those barriers in my mind to where I was just confident enough to do it," said Philips.


He's started what he calls the XY Movement. It's an attempt to blur gender lines a little further.


"The first time I stepped out of the house, I was nervous, I'm not going to lie," he said.


He uses social media to spread his message and he says it's catching on.


"Actually on Twitter, this guy, I looked at this picture and he had on lipstick and he was like yeah man, I did it to support what you`re doing. I was like man that`s crazy," said Philips.


He has girlfriend whose learned to embrace it too.


"It`s fine. I wear lipstick. He wears lipstick. We share lipstick," said Philips' girlfriend Joy Nguyn.


Despite the comments her friends and family share.


"I get mostly negative comments, oh he`s gay, that`s not cute. Guy`s shouldn't wear lipstick or tights, but I really don`t care," said Nguyn.


Philips says he's just in touch with his feminine side


"I believe I`m 40 percent female, basically because of my emotions. I`m a very emotional person. Very emotional," he said.


And thinks other men should be too.


"Everyone has a soft spot. I just embrace both sides," said Philips. 



Leviticus 20:13- If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.


Deuteronomy 22:5- The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.




No comments:

Post a Comment